Fiancée Visas & Permanent Resident (K)

Long Island Fiancée Visas

Suffolk County Marriage Visa Lawyer

Among the many types of visas the U. S. Citizenship and Naturalization Service issues are K1 and K2 visas, which are related to instances in which U.S. citizens wish to bring a foreign fiancé to the United States.

The K1 fiancé visa does not grant permission for a fiancé to stay permanently in the United States, but simply allows your fiancé to enter the U.S. one time within six months of the visa’s issuance. If your fiancé intends to file for permanent resident status, the K1 visa is a first step in that direction.

After obtaining a K1 visa and your fiancé arrives in the U.S., you and your fiancé have 90 days to marry. Should you change your mind and decide not to get married, your fiancé will have to leave the country before the 90-day period elapses. If the marriage does take place, the two of you must request adjustment of status immediately, to amend your new spouse’s status to permanent legal resident.

The companion K2 visa permits unmarried children of the fiancées under 21 years of age to enter the U.S.

Immigration Services and Immigrants Injured

Motorvehicle Accidents
Construction Site Accidents
Mesothelioma / Asbestos
bad drugs
Medical Product Defects
medical malpractice
product liability

If you have been hurt in an accident or by a product, you may be entitled to a cash reward. It is important to have an attorney who understands your legal status in the United States guide you through these types of cases while protecting your rights so you receive the compensation you are entitled to.

Principles Underlying U.S. Immigration Policies

In the U. S., immigration is based upon the following principles:

  • Reunification of families
  • Admitting immigrants with skills that are valuable to the U.S. economy,
  • Protecting refugees
  • Promoting diversity

Legal Help for the Immigrant Community on Long Island and the New York City Metro Area

If you need legal advice concerning immigration law enforcement and penalties, have questions about immigrant and nonimmigrant visas, deferred action, citizenship and naturalization, asylum or removal defense and criminal charges, an experienced immigration attorney can provide the legal help you need.

K1 Visa Requirements

Long Island Fiancée Visas

Suffolk County Marriage Visa Lawyer

While not complicated, the U.S. citizen and the foreign fiancée must meet the requirements for the K1 visa, which include:

  • The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen. It is important to note that a legal permanent resident of the U.S., holding a green card, cannot obtain a K1 visa.
  • Both parties must be free to marry.
  • Both parties must intend to marry within 90 days of the foreign fiancé’s arrival.
  • The two parties must have met in person within two years prior to filing.
  • The U.S. citizen petitioner must be at or above the poverty line established by Congress every year. If the petitioner doesn’t meet these requirements, he (or she) may use a co-sponsor who does meet them. Your lawyer can tell you what the current level of minimum income is and what the sponsor’s responsibilities will be.
  • The foreign fiancée may not have a criminal record.

 Legal Help with the K-1 Visa Process

Are you planning to bring your fiancée to the U.S. to marry and have questions about obtaining a K1 visa? Call Long Island immigration attorney William Streppone at (631)265-3988 to arrange an appointment. There is no charge for an initial consultation to discuss your situation and find out how we can help you.

Contact us for a free consultaion